WordPress 4.9 Beta 1 has now arrived and is available for users to test. Remember that the software is still undergoing developmental changes so this version should always be used on a test site.
The full release is planned for November 14th, so we’re just under a month away now, but if you can’t wait for those last four weeks you can get a sneak peek now by getting to grips with the new features in Beta 1.
As always, the development team are asking users to report any bugs that they find while trialling the new version, and some of the main features to be tested are:
- The new drafting and scheduling of changes in the Customizer
- The Video widget’s new support for providers other than YouTube and Vimeo
- Autosave revisions in the Customizer
- The new Gallery widget
- Support for shortcodes and adding media to the Text widget
- The new theme browsing experience in the Customizer
As you can see from the (non-exhaustive) list above, there are numerous changes to the Customizer that we can expect when WordPress 4.9 hits the web.
If you get a chance to test out WordPress 4.9 Beta 1 we’d love to hear your thoughts, so don’t hesitate to leave a comment below.