WordPress 4.9 Arrives
The final WordPress release of 2017 is here! Nicknamed ‘Tipton’ after jazz musician Billy Tipton, WordPress 4.9 was brought to life by a team of over 440 contributors.
WordPress 4.9 arrived overnight and we’re looking forward to delving into all of the latest changes and new features that the version brings with it. For now, here are some of the main elements to look out for:
- Site design customisations can now be drafted and scheduled – this is an exciting one! Acting similarly to how you can draft, edit and schedule posts, you can now do the same for design changes.
- WordPress 4.9 will provide you with prompts if you haven’t saved new changes to your draft designs, (hopefully) making lost design work a thing of the past.
- Final changes to the design workflow include the ability to collaborate with fellow designers with design preview links, as well as a feature that lets you lock design changes to ensure no co-workers accidentally overwrite your brand new changes.
- Syntax highlighting and error checking for both CSS editing and the Custom HTML widget have both been introduced to make error resolution simpler than ever.
- A new Gallery widget has been added to the media widget line up and a new Add Media button allows users to add images, video and audio to text widgets.
- Theme switching is made simpler, with menu and widget placement being sustained when switching back and forth between themes. Additionally, if you’re looking for a new theme you can now preview over 2600 of them from within the Customizer.
Visit the WordPress website to find out more about WordPress 4.9’s features, and remember to update to this latest version via your site’s dashboard as soon as possible.